Saturday, September 13, 2014

Edward Snowden, backdoors, and imagining Germany

Ever since I started a blogspot blog several years ago, I have noticed that no matter what other stats might turn up, there was always exactly one view from Germany. Most people wouldn't think too much of this, and I don't really either.

Let's imagine for a moment (indulge me in a bit of fantastical speculation) that all (or even some particularly suspicious) blog traffic is routed through Germany. There it is tracked and even read, perhaps by a computer, and eventually if need be by a human. Let us say that in this fantastical world, there is a way for the entity in Germany to go into the blogger's computer and cause mischief.

Now, take out the part about Germany, and that seems to be what Edward Snowden was really telling us.

Other than the part about being able to cause mischief, I don't really care so much about the rest. Politics is public, and that is the point. We take stands, and make our views known publicly. States don't have to spy too much to figure out what those of us inclined towards politics think about issues of importance to us.

By the way, there could be something to the Germany part for all I know. This is a variation on the "big lie" idea. You know, if one tells a big lie people might be more inclined to believe it than a small lie, often attributed Goebbels I believe. My theory is more like the most outrageous explanation turns out to be what is really going on.

If one doesn't believe this was Snowden's message to us, here are some links:

Steve blank blog on NSA backdoor into computers

RT "Germany is nsa's primary host of surveillance..."  (Note: Irony. We now know that US even spied on PM Merkel.)

"a running list of what we know the nsa..."

teckdirt NSA planned to infect computers with malware

And believe me, there is much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1) Comments that I deem could be potential trouble for myself in anyway will be removed. 2) I decide the definition of "trouble."

Thank you for your patient understanding.